Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Getting Away -- Why No Sleep?

Yesterday I drove to Connecticut to spend the night at a B&B in the coastal town of Niantic, CT. I was writing an article for BnBFinder.com about their Babymoon Package. I was so looking forward to getting away from all my responsibilities at home and for my husband to spend 24 hours of quality time with Zack and our two dogs!

Before baby I used to travel at least once a month doing trainings for American Express, but after baby, the first chance I had to travel for work overnight was just a month ago. This trip allowed me the freedom to not only get my job done, but also the ability to sit in an Adirondack chair, with the sun shining on my face, while overlooking a beautiful seaside Marina for a couple of hours -- to just chill, without being pulled in a dozen different directions. I so needed that

Then as early evening approached I went to check out a local seafood restaurant, explored the downtown area and enjoyed watching the movie "Sex in the City" at the little movie theatre in town. (the last time I had been to a movie was over two years ago).

After arriving back at the Inn, all I wanted to do was have some tea, relax, and then go to sleep. Ahh, a good night's sleep.....the ability to sleep in past 6:30 am and not be woken up by baby!!

Ha, ha -- that is where the joke was on me!! Because I wanted that so badly -- sleep eluded me!!! I lay in bed tossing and turning, with my body craving sleep, sleep, sleep -- and my mind suddenly on overdrive -- sleep seemed to be pushed farther and farther out of reach. The clock continued to tick the hours away....until I last remember seeing 3:00 am.

Then waking up to rain hitting the windows at 7:30 am -- I looked at the clock, rolled over, and tried to fall back to sleep. I knew I didn't need to be up until closer to 9:00.......but fat chance of that.

My big chance to get the sleep I need and it is elusive and out of reach......

No comments: