Monday, August 4, 2008

As Time Moves On

In my last blog I wrote about the sitter I found, for my son Zack, once I went back to work. Well, as with everything in life, not all things stay the same. My sitter was very open to helping me on a part-time basis, as I eased back into a full time work load. However, when I needed to expand the amount of hours she was watching Zack, that became more of a problem. (Remember she still has 6 children of her own, and suddenly she was also becoming the main caretaker for her ailing father) -- So I needed to find a back-up person to handle watching my son, a couple days a week.

While I really liked my sitter, and Zack was very comfortable with her and her children, I also needed to take care of my work responsibilites and make sure that my son was taken care of. (which meant, that if my work was getting done, and he was taken care of, all was right with the world)

But finding someone you can trust and is a good role model, is not always easy. I continued to put off the search, and continue limping along, until I couldn't do it any longer! But as I had consciously made a decision to find my first sitter, once I started searching for someone, the second one that I found, came to me right away. She was just the person I was looking for!!

And what I love about her watching Zack a couple days a week is that there is a nice balance between the two environments. This new sitter has a lot of experience working with and teaching smaller children, so he is having fun at her house, but is also learning and is being exposed to a wealth of "pre-school" concepts at an early age.

Then when he goes over to his first sitter's house he has fun and just plays with the kids -- which gives him more social skills experience. And now I am not over taxing my original sitter because she gets a break two days a week -- and my work schedule gets covered! It is a win-win situation.

So, with everything else with Motherhood, if you understand that everything changes, and nothing ever stays the same -- and the best way to approach life is to be flexible -- your daily existance will be less frustrating.

No comments: