Friday, August 29, 2008

Stresses of Traveling with Toddler (Part I)

I knew that when I went down to Florida last week for work, and visiting family, that is was going to be rough -- as I would be traveling with Zack, without my husband. He needed to stay in New Jersey for work and couldn't come with us. So I started figuring out every possible scenario that could create problems for me and ways to make my trip as easy as I could.

Knowing that I would be pushing Zack in a stroller, bringing a carry-on piece of luggage on the plane (for all of Zack's essentials, as well as my purse items) and then would be checking in a bag, I knew I couldn't take anything else with us. Which meant that I would need to rent a car seat, a booster seat and a crib for wherever we would be. The car seat seemed easier, as I would rent it with my rent-a-car once I got to Florida. Which sounds easy enough -- until you realize that most of the local car rental locations do not carry car seats. The primary location for arranging a car seat for a baby/toddler is at the airport.

So my original option of my sister picking us up at the airport and then renting a car a few days later became a problem. So I needed to rethink my original strategy. The other part of my plan was that my sister would spend time with Zack and I in Jacksonville, FL and help with him when I was working. Then she would drive with us over to Orlando to spend time with my brother and his family, and then over to Tampa to finish up our visit and get work done over there. So instead of her driving us around, I had her fly from Tampa to Jacksonville, and I then rented a car at the airport with a car seat for Zack. I then picked her up about 90 minutes later and we drove over to stay at my mother-in-laws house.

But of course asking for a car seat is not as easy as one would think -- especially when you are traveling with a toddler by yourself. You would think that the car rental place would have the car seat already set up in your car, as requested. But according to safety regulations they are not allowed to put it in your car -- so as any new parent will attest, putting a car seat into a car is not an easy feat! Especially when your toddler is screaming for you, struggling to get out of their stroller, and run around like crazy in the parking garage.....which can really test your patience and nerves! By this time my son wanted out -- he had spent the entire morning traveling from home -- to the airport -- through security -- being held in the waiting area -- getting onto the plane -- and flying 2 or so hours......Needless to say Zack was tired of being tied down and wanted to be FREE!

So after I sweated through installing a car seat, and trying to calm my son down enough to get into that seat (another form of confinement) to drive to get something to eat, and wait for my sister, so we could drive another 45 minutes....I was frazzled, exhausted and ready to get to my destination!

How do I keep him happy, keep myself together and manage to do it all with a smile on my face???? (not an easy task)

No comments: