Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Advice For Moms & Dads (FM)

In thinking about the topic for this radio show, two authors came to mind. One of them always makes me laugh and knew she would add humor to this show, and that is Jenna McCarthy (not to be confused with Jenny McCarthy). Jenna wrote the book "The Parent Trip: From High Heels and Parties to High Chairs and Potties" and just came out with a new one entitled "Cheers to the New Mom/Dad," just in time for Mother's and Father's Day.

The second author has written a very intriguing book and I really wanted to get his input on a man/dad's mindset. He is Charles Orlando and has written the book "The Problem with Women is Men -- The evolution of a man's man to a man of higher evolution." Needless to say it was a title that grabbed my attention, and made me feel that having Charles as a guest would be very enlightening!

Just as I was getting ready to interview Jenna I ran across an article in the USA Today that I thought was extremely relevant to the topic of passing along words of wisdom to my new parent listeners. It was titled "More Parents Share the Workload When Moms Learns to Let Go...." I know that when I became a new mother it was very difficult in the beginning to hand over the reins to my husband to take care of my son.....he didn't know what certain cries meant, he did things differently from me and would he have the patience to handle Zack without getting upset? These were all the thoughts that ran through my head whenever Jeff stepped in to help. But I soon realized that I needed to hand Zack over and walk away if I was ever going to get any time to myself (to accomplish anything, or even if that meant taking a shower in peace) and Jeff needed to learn how to handle Zack in his own way.

Needless to say Jenna and I had many laughs about letting our husbands share the workload and how two type A personality women had to learn the hard way (and how maybe we are still learning!!)

Then Charles filled me in on all that he ldiscovered after talking with and interviewing almost 1600 men and women for his book. Learn tips about the core flaws of men, what they bring to the relationship, and how women should interact with those flaws.

Passing along words of wisdom to moms and dads.

1 comment:

Brenda Nixon, Author and Speaker said...

I'm blessed with a husband who has and continues to share the household workload.
Sounds like an interesting interview and read.