Wednesday, May 13, 2009

In Sickness & In Health

A couple of weeks ago my son came down with a stomach bug and it was the first time he has been really sick. Up to this point he has had several sinus infections and small colds, but nothing that has kept him from not going to the sitters during the week.

But this time I had to clear my calendar, cancel appointments and reschedule radio show interviews to stay at home and take care of Zack. It was an interesting experience!! I felt so bad. Zack was so scared about vomiting because he hadn't experienced that before, and of course he didn't like it! (who does??) So he was clinging to me on the couch, and where normally he would be running and playing, now he was sedate and lethargic.

He instead cuddled on the couch watching movies, barely eating, trying to keep liquids down and keep him hydrated -- while he carried a low grade fever and was experiencing bouts of diarrhea.

A phone call to the doctor, and then a trip into the office to make sure I was doing everything I could, and to verify that he didn't have anything more serious than a stomach bug. Luckily the doctor said he should be fine in a few days.

During that time period I learned all about the items I should be feeding him (bananas, saltines, toast, cheerios and plain rice) and the drinks I should be pushing such as pedialyte and gatorade to replenish his electrolytes.

The whole experience made me feel so helpless because I couldn't do anything to "make him feel better," and I hated seeing him suffer; especially when I knew his head hurt and his tummy was upset.

I just had to wait it out and be there for him!
Four days later he was back to his old self and ready to eat!!
A very good sign.

No comments: