Monday, October 13, 2008

Nurturing Mom....and Dad (FM)

While the last couple of radio shows I have focused on subjects such as postpartum depression, recovery and healing of mom, I realized that it might be helpful to do a whole show about ways in which to nurture mom...and dad. Joining me again is Dr. Shoshana Bennett, Phd. whose specialty is mom's emotional and mental health.

Her and I had a wonderful exchange about the many ways that dad, family and friends can help to nurture mom and ultimately help her be the best that she can be. Several examples were to give her time to get out in nature, provide some sleep time, give her regular breaks throughout the week, and mom learning to ask for help when she needs it, and to set boundaries as the holidays approach so as to not burn out. And if mom is feeling overwhelmed, know that it is ok to reach out and get the support personally and professionally that is needed.

Then later on in the show I spoke with Milana Knowles with SpaFinder.com about her 5000 spas nationwide that pregnant and new moms can tap into to relieve any stress or anxiety, as well as physical ailments that a woman experiences during this transitional time in her life. We chatted about the benefits of pre-natal, swedish and hot stone massages. We talked about the many different packages and programs that spas have and how wonderful it is to spend a half day being pampered at a spa with a friend, sister, mother, or husband. And even how after baby turns 6 months, an overnight getaway to a spa for mom and dad may be just what the doctor orders for jump starting a relationship.

Milana also mentioned that if a woman is pregnant or is breastfeeding, she should always let the spa know when booking her appointment, and to let her service provider know so that person will not use certain products that could be harmful.

I enjoyed the conversation so much, it made me want to book an appointment at one of my favorite spas near my house, the Fountain Day Spa. I thoroughly enjoy having a hot whirlpool bath and then a hot stone massage to relieve my stress, clear my head and nurture my neck and back.

No comments: