Thursday, October 2, 2008

Recovery & Healing (FM)

Several weeks ago my radio show was focused on Labor and Delivery; and while mom's recovery was touched upon, I felt it was an important topic to discuss in length, as not enough attention is brought to the struggle new moms face once coming home from the hospital.

To me, the recovery of my son's birth was worse than the labor and delivery itself. While labor may last as long as one full day -- a woman's recovery could take up to four weeks (based on any complications). And those 4 weeks are not filled with sleeping, laying on the couch or resting ones body so it can heal. Those weeks encompass little sleep, the constant needs of a newborn, swirling emotions, and the repercussions of trauma a mothers body has gone through.

Which is why I wanted to talk with Rachel Mahan, a postpartum doula and baby nurse, founder of Bella Bambini, about how her assistance can make a huge difference in the swift recovery of a new mom after delivery. If I had known about her services before I had my son, I would have definitely hired her to help me and my husband through that difficult first few months of recovery, healing and becoming new parents.

No comments: