Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Our Kids Mirror Our Emotions

When I was pregnant I wanted to keep my disposition calm and happy. I felt that everything I did, ate, and allowed into my realm contributed to the birth of my son. My feeling was that by speed walking I was keeping my body strong, by being happy and content, those feelings were being sent to my baby, and as I ate well that nutrition was also helping to grow my baby.

Well I am happy to report that my son is a happy, healthy little boy. But sometimes I forget that what I was doing before he was born, is also just as important now that he is an active participant in my life.

When he was a baby and I was calm and reassuring, he was calm and at peace. Now that he is a toddler, when I am right there with him and not having my mind caught up in a thousand things he is happy and just as involved with me. But when I am stressed and scattered he can sometimes seem just as edgy.

Sometimes I need to come back to the moment and see how my son is mirroring my emotions and tapping into how I am feeling. Right now when there is so much uncertainty in the world, remember that your children can tap into your feelings and if you are not strong and confident they can mirror those emotions back to you.

We need to live in the moment, not get caught up in the negativity and express pure love back to our children.

No comments: