Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Where Did the Holidays Go?

I can't believe that we are already into January and everyone is busy getting back into the swing of things for the new year! Personally, I don't know where the holidays went -- the last I remember I was getting a family picture taken for holiday cards, trying to figure out presents for friends and family, and BOOM suddenly it was Christmas morning, New Years day and now January!!

Normally I like to relax during the holidays, sit in front of my tree, and take in the peace that the tiny white lights and beautiful bright ornaments bring me, while watching inspirational holiday movies. And while I did get to do a little bit of that, it just seems like a blur.

However, the highlight of my holiday was watching my 2 year old son really experience his first Christmas -- that was the most fun. Although he was around for Christmas the last two years, the first year he was only a month old and didn't know anything, and last year while he liked opening presents he was more interested in the wrapping paper and boxes than in the presents themselves.

This year my husband and I really had fun going out shopping for him and thinking about how excited he would get when he walked downstairs and saw all these great presents under the tree. We even made a date out of shopping for Zack. I met my husband at the Garden State Plaza mall for lunch (it was so nice having a relaxing meal in the middle of the day without baby in tow) and then we shopped the mall and the surrounding stores on Rt. 4 and 17 before heading to the babysitter to pick up our little man.

The best part of the holiday has to be experiencing the excitement and wonderment through a child's eyes. He was so cute, walking down the stairs in his Santa flannel pajamas, watching his eyes and hearing his squeal when he saw what Santa had brought for him. And while I know as he gets older he will want to tear through the presents and rip through the wrapping paper, this year was precious. He opened each gift and then handed it to daddy to unlock all the twists and ties that come with toys today, so he could play with that one gift. He wasn't even aware of all the other presents he still needed to unwrap, he was focused on each present, and savoring each gift!

That was a good day!

But it too has passed and we are now back into the grind and I wonder, where was the REST that I wanted to get?

No comments: