Monday, September 29, 2008

Bonding With Daddy

There are a lot of moms that need to travel for work and leave their young children at home. I discovered first hand how difficult that is when I went off to Las Vegas for a few days to attend the largest baby expo in the country.

Those few days were defining for me. It was the first time I had traveled alone on the plane without my son, since his birth, and it caused flashbacks to when I would travel all the time for work, unencumbered. I was feeling caught between two realities -- the one of a career woman (before baby) and the other of being a responsible mom (traveling for work).

It was also the first time my husband was solely responsible for our son, for more than overnight. My thoughts wandered to how would they do? How would Zack's naps and bedtimes go, and how would Jeff manage for a few days without assistance?

I knew that if all went well, it would be much easier to travel again for business --but if there were a lot of challenges, it would make it harder for me to leave town (emotionally and mentally).

Luckily, those few days became a great bonding time for both Jeff and Zack. Jeff had dedicated time with our son without me being there, and Zack got a chance to hang out with dad and bond. And the bedtimes seemed to go easier for Jeff than I imagined!!

Those few days also provided a great opportunity for me to also get some sleep without having to get up with Zack at 6:15 am. Where in my previous reality I would have gone out on the town and gotten back to the room later in the evening; now, by 9:00pm all I wanted to do was to crawl into bed and get some sleep!!

My how times have changed!!

No comments: