Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Breastfeeding & Postpartum Depression (FM)

This was a very interesting show and both topics are the most talked about with new moms because no woman can control either one. An expectant mom can't really practice breastfeeding before baby arrives and ultimately the baby will determine how breastfeeding goes. And with 15% of new mothers being effected by postpartum depression, it becomes a question of whether you become part of that statistic.

Tamara Hawkins, a maternity nurse and certified Lactation Consultant with her own practice www.StorkandCradle.com provided a lot of information on the subject of breastfeeding. If I were to have a problem breastfeeding my baby once I got home from the hospital, I would feel very comfortable having her come to my house to help me.

Then Dr. Shoshana Bennett, PhD, a pioneer in the field of prenatal and postpartum depression enlightened me on the whole postpartum situation. I had no idea that 15-20% of pregnant women could also fall victim to pre-natal depression -- that was quite an eye opener to me. And discussing the ways that new moms can prevent postpartum were important keys for any new mom.

If anyone is interested in learning more about pre-natal or postpartum depression I totally recommend Dr. Bennett's book -- Postpartum Depression for Dummies. I learned a lot and it was a very easy read!

No comments: