Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Labor and Delivery (FM)

In this show I wanted to talk about the nitty gritty of Labor and what really happens in the delivery room! Which is not what you find in most of the expectant mother books available.

There are several different child birth classes to choose from, learning about each one and choosing the right one for you is the first step. I chose Lamaze, and although there wasn't a lot I learned from the class (since I had already been practicing breathing in my Yoga classes) -- what I did learn was the various stages of labor. That became important for me because I wanted to work through the stages without having an epidural. However, more important than that, was the bonding experience my husband and I shared as we went to the class together each week. I also think that he gained a lot of information about how to help me and become an active partner through the delivery process.

Kimmelin Hull, as a childbirth educator, shared with me the differences between a midwife and a doula -- which I get questions about a lot. A midwife is similar to an OB/Gyn but much more hands on, being there through the whole birthing process and delivering the baby as well. While a doula is more of an advocate for the parents through the birthing process. She is with mom from the beginning of her labor, helping her work through the pain while at home, and then goes with the parents to the hospital when she feels she is close to delivering, to become the voice for them in dealing with the hospital and their procedures. And as Kimmelin explained, with a doula there is a 50% decrease in c-sections because she is there speaking for the mother.

Then Ilona DeSantis, RNC shared with me the "real deal" of what happens in the delivery room -- information that most expectant moms do not know. We talked about how the nurse is with you during most of the delivery process, with the doctor showing up at the end to deliver the baby. And we chatted about the big topics such as having an epidural, breaking your water, receiving pitossin, and the recovery process after delivery.

Ilona and I could have continued talking for another hour -- there was so much that wasn't discussed. I am sure I will have her on the show again, specifically to address the whole subject of delivering twins and triplets.

No comments: